Article by: CareerAlley
“There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.” – Anonymous
There are few of us who enter college knowing what we want to be when we grow up, and many of us change our major one or more times. So what does that mean about finding your first job out of school? Well for one, don’t stress out looking for the right answer (or the elevator to success) because there isn’t always a right answer. The trick is to find a job that closely aligns to your skill set with a company that offers the best chance for achieving your career goals.
Sounds easy, but in practice it takes a lot of work. Take the stairs, it will take you longer to get there but the rewards are worth the pain.
College Grad / Entry Level Job Search Sites:
- Alumwire.com – “Real Connections” is the tag line for this professional network which focuses on “job search, recruiting, career enhancement, and other business pursuits” according to their website. The main page is all about jobs. There is a link for the Alumwire Virtual Career Fair Schedule followed by featured jobs (with a link to see additional jobs), an overview on networking below which is a link where you can update your resume and set-up your profile. View Jobs by Category is on the right hand side of the page. This is definitely a site worth checking out.
- 37signals Job Board – A job board by 37signals.com, the page offers lists of jobs, sorted by job category (Design Jobs, Programming Jobs, and several other categories). Click on any job opportunity to see a job description along with contact information. There is a “live search” box at the top of the page as well. You can click on the category to see all the jobs for that category and you can subscribe via RSS as well.
- Work for Students – By, of course, workforstudents.com. This is a good place to look if you are looking for work while in college. Remember, what you doing during school (and I don’t mean just your school work) is sometimes more important than what you did in school (not an excuse to get a C). Links at the top of the page for Opportunities, Resources and Apply. There are links for latest news and Career Resources center page. Enter your zip code (top right hand side of the screen) and click Go.
College Grad Job Search Advice:
- 2009 Best Companies for Diverse Graduates – Thanks to Diversity Edge (thediversityedge.com) for this listing of the best companies for diverse graduates. The article has a brief overview followed by a listing of the companies. You will recognize most (if not all) of the 20 companies on this list. At the bottom of the article is a link to the website.
- Job Hunting Tips for the New College Graduate – Or Anyone – Good article (from Generation X Finance) which has some good advice, covering topics such as Experience Matters, Start Early, Networking and more. This article is definitely worth a read. There are related articles at the bottom of the page.
Company Career Sites for College – Check out these links:
- Target Corporation
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.
Share this post:
About the author
Jessica Hernandez, President, CEO & Founder of Great Resumes Fast
Hi, I’m Jessica. I started this company back in 2008 after more than a decade directing hiring practices at Fortune 500 companies.
What started as a side hustle (before that was even a word!) helping friends of friends with their resumes has now grown into a company that serves hundreds of happy clients a year. But the personal touch? I’ve kept that.
You might have seen me featured as a resume expert in publications like Forbes, Fast Company, and Fortune. And in 2020, I was honored to be named as a LinkedIn Top Voice of the year!
I’m so glad you’re here, and I can’t wait to help you find your next perfect-fit position!
Will your resume impress employers? Take this 2-minute quiz to find out.
Get your personalized plan for a resume that stands out and lands you your dream job!
Need a little help getting hiring managers to take notice? Find out what's standing between you and those magic words "You're exactly who we've been looking for!"