The Complete Guide to Employment References
What Every Job Seeker Must Know Before Choosing a Professional Reference
Did you know that 1/3 of all job candidates are removed from consideration after a reference check?
Your reference choices are more than a formality. They can make or break a job offer.
Get instant access to:
- What most candidates get wrong when they choose references (and how to make a better choice)
- The 5 key things to consider when selecting references (hint: your references should be your BEST advocates)
- Special situations when it’s okay to include a personal reference (and what to do if you don’t have ANY references)
- How to find out if you have a “negative reference” (and what to do to fix it)
- Scripts for how to ask someone to be a reference (plus tips on WHEN to ask them)
- How to judge whether someone will be a good reference for you (or would hurt your chances of being hired!)
- How to use LinkedIn as a digital reference (and how to make your social media a positive influence on the hiring decision)
- Dos and don’ts of listing your references (including formatting instructions)
- How to prepare your references to give positive responses (and avoid answers that hurt your chances of being hired)
- Legal implications of references (and dispelling of common myths)
- How to build good-will with your references after you land your new job (beyond just a thank-you note)
- HOW TO ASK PEOPLE TO BE A REFERENCE FOR YOU
- HOW TO REQUEST RECOMMENDATIONS ON LINKEDIN
- LIST OF GREAT POTENTIAL REFERENCES
Write a Review
About Great Resumes Fast
Hi, I’m Jessica Hernandez, the founder of Great Resumes Fast. I started this company back in 2008 after more than a decade directing hiring practices at Fortune 500 companies.
Everything we create at Great Resumes Fast is based on my personal experience knowing exactly what hiring managers at top companies are looking for in a resume and in a candidate.
Our products are designed to help you stop guessing about “what works” and land your perfect-fit position!