“What you want to do, and what you can do, is limited only by what you can dream.” – Mike Melville
A fresh new list of the Best Companies to Work for from Fortune. The “Best” list is compiled by the Great Place to Work Institute which surveys employees and assess company culture. Many of these companies show up on a variety of lists, but in my view this is probably the best list to be on (no pun intended). So what does being the best mean? Well it is different for each of the companies, but there are recurring themes through-out. You will have heard of many of these companies, but probably not all. As usual, we start from the top.
- SAS – Number 1 on the list and up from # 20 on last years list (their 13th year on the list) . The career page provides a brief overview of the company followed by a worldwide career search function by region. Clicking through region will lead to country and then a choice of Professional Opportunities and Student Opportunities. Following on to job search will allow registration or sign-in. A quick search for the US returned 55 job opportunities, but check your location for opportunities.
- Edward Jones – Headquartered in St. Louis MO and ranked #2 on the list (same as last year), Edward Jones is a brokerage firm and hired 1,926 people last year. The main section tabs are: Financial Advisor Opportunities, Branch Support Opportunities and Headquarters Opportunities. There is also a tab for students. There is an “apply now” link at the bottom of the page which allows you to explore opportunities across the tabs mentioned above. Once you click on one of these sections, you can add your profile and apply for jobs.
- Wegmans Food Markets – Wegmans is a 70+ food market store chain located primarily in the Northeast has over 36,000 employees and is ranked 3 on the list. They’ve been on Fortune’s list since 1998 and have been in the top 3 for the last 4 years. Their career site has tons of information on the company and what they are about (which is a very big part of what makes them one of the best companies to work for). This includes the reasons to work there, Diversity, Educational Initiatives and, of course, job listings. The job search is fairly basic. Once you find a potential job you apply via email. There were 55 job opportunities when I checked the site.
- Google – Ranked 4th on the list (again), Google plans to hire thousands this year. Everyone has heard of Google, so not much else to say here. There Careers page has a brief overview (“Let’s Work Together”) with links to each of their hiring locations. The left hand side of the page has additional related links. You can also look by function (right center page). There doesn’t seem to be one place where you can look at all of the job openings, so you will need to be selective in your search.
- Nugget Market – Back from last year and ranked 5th on the list (from 10th last year, Nugget is an 82 year old company that has never had a layoff and is located in California. Their career page provides company news and history as well as an “Apply Now” link and review of benefits. Job search is not available. Interested candidates should apply online.
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.
Share this post:
About the author
Jessica Hernandez, President, CEO & Founder of Great Resumes Fast
Hi, I’m Jessica. I started this company back in 2008 after more than a decade directing hiring practices at Fortune 500 companies.
What started as a side hustle (before that was even a word!) helping friends of friends with their resumes has now grown into a company that serves hundreds of happy clients a year. But the personal touch? I’ve kept that.
You might have seen me featured as a resume expert in publications like Forbes, Fast Company, and Fortune. And in 2020, I was honored to be named as a LinkedIn Top Voice of the year!
I’m so glad you’re here, and I can’t wait to help you find your next perfect-fit position!
Will your resume impress employers? Take this 2-minute quiz to find out.
Get your personalized plan for a resume that stands out and lands you your dream job!
Need a little help getting hiring managers to take notice? Find out what's standing between you and those magic words "You're exactly who we've been looking for!"